Have you ever paused to read the label on your dental floss? Before you floss tonight, check the contents. Certain brands of dental floss include harmful chemicals such as Per- and Polyfluorinated Substances (PFAs), which have been used in several products globally since the 1950s.
Flossing is one of the primary ways to combat cavities and gum disease, as it removes food and plaque between your teeth. Ensuring your floss is PFA-free means you get all the benefits of your oral regimen and none of the consequences of harmful chemicals.
PFAs are in various products, such as clothing, furniture, adhesives, food packaging, dental floss, and other personal products.
The Dirt on PFAs
PFAs are in various products, such as clothing, furniture, adhesives, food packaging, dental floss, and other personal products. These dangerous chemicals are a concern because they:
- Do not break down in the environment
- Move through soils and contaminate drinking water sources
- Build up (bioaccumulate) in fish and wildlife
At this point, PFAs are inevitable because they are everywhere. However, you can focus on limiting exposure by reviewing labels and buying healthier brands.
How Can I Find PFA-free Floss?
Although many dental floss brands contain PFAs, this doesn’t mean you should eliminate flossing from your oral health routine, but you should be mindful of the products you purchase.
A study by the American Academy of Periodontology reports that future research is needed to determine why and how PFAs may enter the bloodstream. Until then, if you are searching for a floss without PFAs, here are some tips:
- Check for natural or eco-friendly brands
- Check floss for waxy coatings
- Avoid anything that says “glide ability” or has a non-stick coating
Plenty of floss is available without potent chemicals. Additionally, our team at Asheville Dental can recommend the best floss on the market.
Ensuring your floss is PFA-free means you get all the benefits of your oral regimen and none of the consequences of harmful chemicals.
Why Are PFAs Dangerous?
Long-term exposure to PFAs may harm human health. These harmful chemicals cause:
- Low birth weight
- Immune system issues
- Increased cholesterol levels
- Certain cancers
- Fertility issues
- Thyroid function
- And more
Any steps you can take to reduce exposure will benefit your overall health.
5 Best PFA-free Dental Floss Brands
To step up your floss game, here are 5 PFA-free dental floss brands to consider:
- Dental Lace offers a zero-waste solution with 100% plastic-free packaging and fully biodegradable floss.
- Cocofloss is made of polyester fibers (no PFAs) coated with microcrystalline wax, coconut oil, and fragrances.
- Public Goods floss is made with all-natural candelilla wax. You’ll enjoy how smooth this floss glides through your teeth and how gentle it is on your gums.
- Radius floss isn’t made with any harmful chemicals, and it’s unflavored and 100% biodegradable.
- Boka floss is dentist-approved and a great product for achieving a healthier and cleaner mouth.
At Asheville Dental, nothing is more important than your smile. During our 60+ years of operation, our team has learned quality doesn’t come from gimmicks, and compromising care is never an option. If you are searching for higher-quality dental products but are unsure what brands are reliable, contact us today!