All it takes is a smile. It brightens even the darkest day. Random acts of kindness and smiles are the spirit behind World Smile Day. Started in 1999 by the originator of the yellow smiley face, Harvey Ball, the day is celebrated on the first Friday of every October. But to give it your all, you want to have the best possible smile. So how can you get ready in time for October 6, 2017 or maybe October 5, 2018?
Six Tips to Perk Up Your Smile
- Floss – Daily flossing is an important part of your oral health care routine. It helps remove the plaque from areas where a toothbrush doesn’t completely reach. However, if you don’t use the right technique, you can’t reap the benefits of your efforts. Here are the tips we recommend you follow.
- Reduce Intake of Wine, Coffee, and Tea – In excess, these beverages can have a real impact on the quality of the color of your smile. All three can cause a build up a superficial stain that your hygienist can polish off. However, they also can cause internal staining of your tooth enamel. When the enamel is involved, polishing won’t help.
- Purchase a High Quality Toothbrush – Believe it or not, you have a choice when it comes to toothbrushes. Whether you select manual or electric is your preference, you just need to make sure you have great dental hygiene habits. Here’s the lowdown on how to make sure you’re measuring up when you’re brushing.
- Quit Smoking – We all know it’s unhealthy. It stains teeth, causes irreversible gum damage, and makes for bad breath. The best part about quitting? Being around longer to share smiles with those we love. Ready to quit? Here are some helpful tips.
- Hydrate – Increase your daily intake of water. It’s the best alternative to sugary drinks and helps remove food debris during and after you’ve eaten.
- Biannual Dental Appointments – Part of the ultimate dental routine is having two trips to the dentist every year. It’s important that we work as a team to maintain up to date xrays, checkups, and medical records.
We have the ability to change someone’s day with such a simple gesture. It’s nice to have a day to celebrate the action, so enjoy World Smile Day!
If you have questions about how to make your smile the best it’s ever been, please call our office. We’d love to chat with you! 828.277.5024.